Tuesday, May 20, 2014

WHEN THE SKY IS FALLING

It was one of those hard days to be The Momma. One of those moments when heart strings are pulled so tightly you might not be able to breathe, but your The Momma, so you breathe, hard. Looks like the cloud has turned once too many times and the funnel is moving towards my baby and hers. We make a run to get to them before the storm does, but the traffic coming to a halt on the expressway makes it clear we won't be able to rescue. There is no time to plan. No time to grab up everything that is dear. Blonde hair all blowing in the wind. Heart strings choking.

The phone rings with lungs all tight and bodies racing to get to shelter. All I say in response is "okay" not wanting to cause their delay. The only shelter I am aware of is four miles away. Eyes strained on computer screens searching for where the blackness swirls. It has crossed the expressway and I realize probably headed right toward their path too. The reporters sounding out fear as the two and a quarter mile monster heads towards his neighborhood as well. Schools have been tortured and the sounds are deafening.

I only have two options, fear or faith. There is no in between! I head for the large empty restroom and choose to weild faith as a sword. I declare out loud the destiny of those I love in harms way. I tell the evil raging hard towards my loved ones that it will not have them.  I speak out loud for anyone to hear, that as a daughter of God, I command the monster to dismantle. To dismantle NOW! The way only a momma could stare down the eyes of evil while staring down her little one! Having done all I could do, I stand, shaking...but standing! The cell phone is silent while the computer screens continue to scream.

Then I hear the voice of a reporter who is full of disbelief, as the F5 moves towards the lakes edge, and in his own words says "it's beginning to dismantle ?!".  I heard it right there. Right there where funnels normally pick up momentum over waters below...but this one dismantles! Cell phones remain silent while hearts beat loud.

How far can heart strings stretch? How far do His arms reach? Further than my own, always further than my own. Finally, the text comes that they are okay. In my minds eye, I see happy memories of our little girls spinning and dancing with their hair flying in the wind. "Thank You" is all I can say, thank You! The pieces of others lives have landed all over our yard. Memories and sadly even loved ones were forever snatched away in the whirlwinds. As I thank Love for protecting my little ones, I continue to shake for those who never got to say goodbye to theirs. Gratitude seems most odd when intersected with grief's ache. Always reminded how bittersweet life can be. We are but given such a short time to breathe in earths atmosphere. The sound of time clicking on the clock hanging next to our families portraits reminds us to live in the moments, for it is only the moments that make up a life time. It is only moments we are given to live!



No comments:

Post a Comment