Friday, April 11, 2014


Texas Heartbeat

I got to spend a day last week with my hero. You've possibly never even heard her name. You won't find her on Facebook or Twitter. She's usually tucked away somewhere off the beaten path. Last week you would have found her weaving in and out of the Texas Bluebonnet Trails laughing, as I shared the adventures of my life with her. I love her laugh...it brings something inside of me very alive. Actually, being in her presence stirs me like no other. We have shared the same heartbeat for fifty four years. I treasure every minute with her.

She has always been strong, yet, if you asked her she would say she steers toward weak. She has always given more than she has ever taken. She has served others and preferred them over herself. She holds her tongue even when she is sure that she may know best. She is quiet and unassuming. She is loyal, even when it really hurts. She finds joy in the simple things. She is faithful and true. She gave up everything to give it to me. I owe her more than a lifetime can pay. We live over 500 miles apart...yet I feel her right here with me. She is amazing. She is my hero. She is my Mama.

God has been more than gracious to me. He has given me so much delight. When He gave me my Mama, He gave of His richest treasures! Texas Bluebonnets will forever hold a new precious memory for me.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Janet and so very true of your Mama and my beloved sister. She would be saying, well I don't know why you think that, or why you said this, because that's certainly not me! But that's the wonderful presence of her. It's never about her, it's always about others. She loves everyone, not just her family, completely unconditionally with no preconceived notions. There is not a thought in her brain that ever judges anyone or thinks harshly of others. She has given her life, and indeed will give her last breath, to put her family above self. She is one of a kind in this "ME" world of today. I'm so glad you had a great day with her and hope you get to have many more. Store it up in your little box of memories and treasures to cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete