Tuesday, March 25, 2014

See-Saw
LIVING A HALF TRUTH

I began my journey as a perfectionist. If you want to have the soup beat out of you...then that is the way to start - NOT!
 
 I had been given the invitation of a lifetime to come and experience real life, real Love. The problem was I brought my old life experiences into the mix, instead of leaving them at the door. Love's invitation was written on grace, but I had not even made it through the doorway of the new covenant, before I exchanged it for a book of law.

How was I to know how costly that exchange would be? I looked around at others who had been invited into the grace room and saw them clutching their book of law as tightly as I held mine. I'm sure there must have been some there who had not made the same mistake...but I did not see them. Of course, I did not know to even look.

I have recently had the joy of walking alongside another who has accepted Love's invitation. The responsibility I feel, for helping her to navigate through this same doorway to the grace room is sobering. How much anguish and lost time would I have been spared if someone had come alongside me and shown me that a book of law is not needed in this Kingdom. In Love's Kingdom grace is ALL that is needed!

I can't site a specific date or time, but somewhere along the weary path I gave up that old worn and tear stained book of law. It's a thousand wonders I hadn't given up with all the failures that I suffered. Perfectionism did not make the path anything more than a living hell, to be honest. I WANTED to be perfect, to do it perfectly...but like those of the old testament...it just wasn't in me to do it...let alone perfectly!

I'm sure all of heaven must have stood in silence when they saw the biggest hard-head of all time, begin to catch a glimpse of grace and it's freedom. Grace is what God gives us. It is never accomplished through our trying (trust me, I know this one)! It is a gift. It is available to everyone who receives Love's invitation. It was given to replace that old book of law. Actually, it was given when Love came on the scene...for grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. ( John 1:17)

If your trying to live truth without grace, you're only living a very frustrated half truth. Truth is: there is no truth without grace! Truth is, if you have never accepted grace, you have never 'truly accepted' Love's invitation, for you cannot have One without the Other!

No comments:

Post a Comment