Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Identical Twins



Faith. It seems like such a complicated word. More complicated at times than others. I have recently read that faith is when the thoughts of our head are in agreement with the thoughts of our heart. Faith is when our theology is an identical twin to our deepest heart-held beliefs.

What would disappointment look like in my life, if my theology became my feelings? This is where the tug of war begins. It is where it always begins. There is a dicotomy within my members. My experience boast of a truth that is in dark contrast to that which my spirit declares. It is here the war begins! Sadly, my experience, my flesh, often wins the battle. Which leaves me as less than a conquerer, not more than, which the bible promises.

We think doubt is a lack of faith. It is not. Doubt is faith in something "other than" Truth. Doubt is not unbelief, as much as it is a strong-held belief in something "other than" what God, The Creator, has told us is true. We ask God for more faith. But we are told that to every man is given a measure. It is not faith which we are in need of. I believe that our measure of faith is found in our spirit-man. It never leaves or forsakes us. Doubt on the other hand is accumulative and grows each time we are hurt or disappointed. Each time life doesn't seem to add up, doubt becomes bigger. The identical twins of theology and heart-held beliefs have become double-minded men.

James tells me "to consider it pure joy when I face trials of many kinds...if I lack wisdom in the trial I should ask for it from the Father. But when I ask, I must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."

Double minded means to seperate one's self in a hostile spirit, to oppose, strive with dispute, to contend. To be at variance with one's self. When we are in opposition to Truth, we are in opposition to self. We are in a civil war...as Truth resides in us if we are a beleiver. We are not living in harmony with our "true-self" when we are in doubt. It is not that faith does not reside in us...it is that doubt occupies too much of our hearts real estate.

God cannot reward our half trust in Him. Let not the double-minded man think he will receive anything from the Lord. God cannot reward anything that is in direct opposition to truth, because it is in direct opposition to us. It is in war against the very faith that resides in us. To reward doubt would be to dilute faith...and faith cannot be diluted.

No comments:

Post a Comment